If you fancy something sweet and comforting, we have just the thing.
This Vegan Coconut & Cream Carrot Cake is the perfect treat. It’s filled with light hints of cinnamon, spiced nutmeg, crunchy walnuts and topped with a lightly sweetened coconut creme frosting.
2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Ground Nutmeg
2 and 1/3 cups (255g) Grated Carrot
1 and 1/2 cups (300g) Brown Sugar
2 Flax Eggs (2 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed Meal with 6 Tbsp Water)
1/2 cup (120ml) Sunflower Oil
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 cup (100g) Chopped Walnuts
Coconut Buttercream Frosting
3 and 3/4 cups (450g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
3 Tbsp Vegan Butter
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
2 tbsp of Plant Milk
A sprinkle of Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Grease your loaf tin and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a mixing bowl.
- Add the grated carrot and brown sugar.
- Prepare the flax eggs by mixing 2 Tbsp Flaxseed Meal with 6 Tbsp Water and allowing to sit for a minute.
- In the meantime, add the oil, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar to the mixing bowl.
- Next, add the flax eggs.
- Mix everything together in your mixing bowl. Don’t worry if it seems a little dry, the carrots take a minute or two to release their natural waters. Keep stirring!
- *If your batter is still too dry to mix after letting it sit for a couple of minutes (and only if it’s too dry to mix after sitting for a few minutes) then add in a little non-dairy milk, only as much as you need to get the batter to a wet enough consistency so that it can mix properly.
- Lastly, add the chopped walnuts
- Pour your mixture into your loaf tin and spread it evenly
- Place into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes (test a toothpick into your back at 30 minutes, if your pick is still wet, put it back into the oven for another 5-10 minutes).
- Allow the cake to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- While your bake is cooling, prepare your frosting.
- Add the powdered sugar, vegan butter, vanilla, apple cider vinegar, half a cup of desiccated coconut, and 3 tbsp of plant milk to an electric mixer bowl.
- Start mixing at low speed.
- If the frosting is too thick then add in more plant milk a drop at a time to get your frosting mix to the perfect consistency. If your frosting ends up too thin, add more powdered sugar.
- Add frosting to your loaf cake
- Sprinkle crushed walnuts and half a cup of dessicated coconut on top of your cake.
- Last but not least, slice and ENJOY!Don’t forget to tag us @honeywellbiscuitco if you give this recipe a go!