Prep Time: 30 minutes
Makes approximately 45 9cm biscuits
450g plain (all purpose) flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
130g cold butter, diced
130g brown sugar
40ml golden syrup (corn syrup)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Ribbon, string, raffia or bakers twine
1. Perheat oven to 170C (340F)
2. Mix flour, bicarbonate of soda, sugar and butter in a stand mixer on low speed for 5 minutes or until it resembles breadcrumbs
3. Add golden syrup, egg and vanilla essence and mix on a low speed until a dough forms
4. Remove from bowl and shape into a ball. The dough can be frozen at this stage if desired – wrap in cling film (saran wrap) and seal in a freezer bag for up to 3 months.
5. Roll out on a floured surface to approximately 4mm thick. Rolling half the dough at a time will make it more manageable
6. Cut out hearts or desired shapes and place on a baking tray lined with baking parchment 3cm apart, as they will grow during baking. Gather up the scraps of dough and repeat until it’s all used.
7. Bake for 10 minutes until lightly golden
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Then, using a straw, make holes in the tops of the biscuits, cutting the straw after making each hole and discarding the pieces. Allow to cool completely.
9. Dust with icing sugar and thread ribbon, bakers twine, raffia or string through the holes and tie at the top. Hang and enjoy!
Tip: For alternate flavours try substituting the vanilla for a teaspoon of ground cinnamon, ginger or almond essence.