It’s Popcorn Lover’s Day!
#PopcornLover’sDay is upon us (hurrah!) and in honour, we wanted to collaborate with another local brand – the fabulous What’s Poppin’ Corn, to bring you these Mango Caramel Popcorn Blondies.
These are no ordinary blondies.
These are perfectly balanced, sweet, fruity, caramelised goodness with that ultimate popcorn crunch to finish.
Our pals at What’s Poppin’ Corn create artisan batches of popcorn – it’s popcorn, but not as you know it. Their flavour combinations are new and innovative such as Cherry Bakewell and Chocolate & Sea Salt Caramel. Better yet, they also offer a Vegan range to ensure everybody knows what’s poppin’.
Mango Caramel Popcorn Blondies
The Basic Recipe
We wanted to use What’s Poppin’ Corn’s amazing award nominated flavour, Mango Caramel, to create a fun twist on the usual blondie.
Although this recipe isn’t vegan, they do produce vegan mango caramel popcorn, and you could make relevant substitutions to the below to create your own Vegan Blondies.
Mango Caramel Popcorn Blondies
75g frozen mango chunks
- 1x 100g bag of What’s Poppin’ Mango Caramel popcorn
- 4 crushed custard creams
- 225g butter, cubed
- 200g white chocolate
- 175g plan flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 200g soft light brown sugar
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 20g caramel sauce or dulce de leche
- 1/4 tsp salt
1. Grease a 21cm x 21cm square, deep tin with some butter and line well with greaseproof paper.
2. In a small saucepan, gently heat the frozen mango chunks until they are soft. If you feel it is necessary you can add some water, lemon juice or sugar to help this process. Once soft, remove from the heat and separate into two servings. Use a hand blender to blitz one of the servings to create a puree which you will use later.
3. Add the butter and 100g of white chocolate chips into a bowl and safely sit over a call saucepan of simmering water to melt the two. Once melted, carefully remove the bowl from the heat and leave to cool for 15 minutes.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/gas 4
5. In a new bowl, combine the flour and baking powder with 1/4 tsp salt.
6. In a separate bowl, combine the sugar and eggs. Use an electric hand-mixer here to beat the mixture until it looks thick and foamy. This might take a few minutes depending on the power of your mixer. It is ready when the beaters of the whisk leave a trail that sits on the surface for 2 seconds.
7. Add the vanilla to the melted chocolate and butter mixture and stir well – don’t worry it is has separated – this is normal! Pour onto the whisked eggs and sugar. Use a spatula to gently fold the mixture until just combined. Finally sift in the flour mixture and fold again, before adding the remaining chocolate chunks, 4 crushed custard cream biscuits, and the serving of mango that is still chunky.
8. Pour your mixture into your greased pan and smooth out evenly. Drop some blobs of the mango puree onto the mixture and gently swirl this in to create a marbled effect in the batter. Lastly sprinkle half of your popcorn on the mixture and push into the batter slightly.
9. Pop into the oven for 35 minutes and then test to see if the blondies are cooked enough – the middle will be slightly soft but not too wet. If it needs longer, just put it back in for another 15 minutes and check again.
10. Once cool, drizzle over your caramel sauce and then finish with your remaining popcorn. Slice into 16 pieces and enjoy.