Here comes the sun..
The bees are buzzing excitedly between beautiful blooms, and the scent of roses lingers in the warm evening air – it can only mean one thing; Summer is finally here, and along with it comes our Jammy Dodger Blondies.
One of our favourite things to do in the Summer season is to harvest the fruit and veg at our family allotment plot.
This week we found ourselves collecting lusciously plump and juicy strawberries to take home, however the temptation proved too great, and about a third were swiftly snaffled on the spot – mostly by my daughter.
Sadly, we didn’t really have enough strawberries left to make a jam (this was the initial idea!) but they did remind me of a wonderful Jammy Dodger Blondies recipe we hadn’t baked in while.
This is a great recipe to try with the kids, who especially seem to enjoy placing the mini Jammy Dodgers in the batter! We definitely recommend fresh strawberries to serve, and perhaps a dollop of Chantilly cream, if you’re feeling particularly decadent.
Makes 9 squares (if requiring a larger batch, double up on ingredients and split between two trays)
- 90g unsalted butter
- 2 small eggs
- 125g white chocolate (chopped)
- 125g light brown sugar
- 160g plain flour
- 8 mini Jammy Dodgers
- Preheat the oven to 175C (155C fan). Grease and line an 8×8″ baking tray using greaseproof paper.
- Place the butter and chopped white chocolate in a heatproof bowl, and melt over a pan of simmering water until smooth and combined – once ready take off the heat and leave to cool a little.
- Using an electric hand held mixer, whisk the sugar and eggs until bubbly and lighter in colour. This can also be in a stand-mixer or by hand if you’re feeling strong!
- Pour the melted butter and chocolate mixture into the whisked eggs and sugar, and mix thoroughly.
- Sift in the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, then add all the Jammy Dodgers to the top of the mixture, breaking up a couple, if you like.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until lightly golden.
- Allow to cool in the tin, then turn out and cut into 9 squares.
- Serve with fresh strawberries, then sit back and enjoy!
TIP: if the chocolate and butter separate, add a splash of milk and whisk hard!
What are your tried and tested strawberry based recipes? We’d love to receive some recommendations.