Cheese & Marmite Knots
- 7g Yeast
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- 220ml Lukewarm Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 300g Bread Flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 8g Marmite
- 1 tsp Hot Water
- 2 Eggs
- 180g Mature Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tbsp Sea Salt Flakes
1. Stir the yeast and sugar into a small bowl with the warm water and let it sit for 3-5 minutes, until it starts to foam.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the olive oil, then add the yeast mixture.
Mix this together to form a soft dough and knead for 10-15 minutes.
3. Shape the dough into a ball and lightly coat with olive oil. Put it in a large bowl, cover with clingfilm and put it in a warm spot to rise for about an hour, or until it has doubled in size.
4. While your dough is rising, grate the cheese and mix together with 1 beaten egg.
5. Put the Marmite in a small bowl with 1 tsp of hot water and mix together.
6. Once risen, split the dough into 2 batches and roll them out into rectangles that are 10cm in width.
7. Spread the marmite along the bottom edge of the dough about 2cm wide. Then sprinkle the cheese mixture on top of the marmite.
Roll the rectangle into a sausage shape, starting from the bottom edge.
8. Roll each sausage from the centre out, to make them longer and thinner. Cut each batch of dough into 4 equal lengths. Each length needs to be rolled to about 2cm thick and 30cm long.
9. Tie your knots! Make the first knot as if you are tying your shoelace. Bring the bottom length over the top and through middle, and the top length round the bottom and through the middle, tucking in the ends. Poke your finger in the centre of the knot to make sure that it is nice and tight.
10. Place the knots on a floured baking tray and cover loosely with clingfilm. Leave to prove for about half an hour.
11. Preheat the oven to 180C/160 fan/gas 4 and place a tray of hot water in the bottom.
12. Lightly beat 1 egg and brush all over the risen rolls. Liberally sprinkle over the sea salt flakes.
13. Place the tray of rolls in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Tap the bottom of a roll to test if it is baked- if it sounds hollow it is done. Leave the knots to cool and enjoy!
Share your bake with us! @honeywellbiscuitco